Racing, Drivers Education, autocross, and other motorsports
By dernflatlander
I enjoyed that. They scheduled a road race and and a driftfest broke out.
By fpena944
dernflatlander wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:49 pm I enjoyed that. They scheduled a road race and and a driftfest broke out.
I missed it! Time to catch the highlights...
By David993S
It was an interesting and entertaining race; I'll give it that. Glad to see Herta get the win. I'm hoping he makes it to F1. I'm always amazed that, as a field, IndyCar drivers can't seem to do more than a lap or two without someone spinning/off course on a wet track.
Although it is hard to stay on a wet track on slicks. :wink:
Last edited by David993S on Sun May 15, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By wsh
Herta's drift was unreal
Held it, then passed the leader !
By Scott at Team Harco
The strategy to stay on slicks, late, didn't pan out so well. Very difficult and changing conditions = entertainment. :rockon:
By linderpat
definitely one of the most entertaining Indy car races in a long time! :rockon:
By linderpat
Damn, Scott Dixon in the qualifiers for Indy. Blazing speed and he gets pole, again for a record breaking 6th time. Ave speed over 234 mph!
By linderpat
What a race yesterday. My favorite was winning the entire time, and I was really looking forward to the finish - then, Scott Dixon - got a penalty in the pits. Damn :banghead: :rtfm:
At least a Ganasssi teammate won. Chip is a hometown favorite - he is from here and lives here in the Pittsburgh region.

Anyway, quite the race.
By Wade B
linderpat wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:04 am What a race yesterday. My favorite was winning the entire time, and I was really looking forward to the finish - then, Scott Dixon - got a penalty in the pits. Damn :banghead: :rtfm:
At least a Ganasssi teammate won. Chip is a hometown favorite - he is from here and lives here in the Pittsburgh region.

Anyway, quite the race.
Yes, Dixon pretty much dominated, and it was his race to lose....and he did.
It was a typical Indy 500, anything can happen.
Looked like for sure Palou would finish well again, or Veekay, one of the youngsters. But O'Ward took care of that.
Not crazy about the red flag at the end with them shutting off the cars. I thought we might see more of how Will Power got screwed last year with the overheated electronics. But it did make for a better show at the end.
Good to see the stands filled again. It wasn't like that even just before the pandemic. But it looks like IndyCar is gaining popularity back.
By fpena944
Got to watch this one and it was a good one!
By David993S
Indy cars at Road America this weekend. Not really much of an Indy car fan, but I love RA. Such a long, fast track.
By linderpat
It was a good race. That track sure is narrow though. Passing was tricky for these indy cars.
By linderpat
Great race in Nashville yesterday. As entertaining as any F1 race. Happy Dixon won, I'm a big fan of his.
By Scott at Team Harco
As much as I appreciate IndyCar, I can't warm-up to that 'track'. When half the field crashes out, there might be something wrong.

I was impressed with Herta's comeback. Interesting that Johnson took himself out in almost exactly the same manner as last year.
By Wade B
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:04 am As much as I appreciate IndyCar, I can't warm-up to that 'track'. When half the field crashes out, there might be something wrong.
I agree totally, Scott.
And all of this after the "work" they did to the circuit after last year.
By Scott at Team Harco
Wade B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:54 pm
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:04 am As much as I appreciate IndyCar, I can't warm-up to that 'track'. When half the field crashes out, there might be something wrong.
I agree totally, Scott.
And all of this after the "work" they did to the circuit after last year.
Yeah. If you think that 'track' is bad. Wait until next year's Detroit GP. I have inside information on it. Let's just say - I expect a shitshow.

By Wade B
Good to see Will Power win the championship today. The guy has had such bad luck over the last few years, and he's always been one of my favorite drivers. :beerchug:
By Scott at Team Harco
Wade B wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:01 pm Good to see Will Power win the championship today. The guy has had such bad luck over the last few years, and he's always been one of my favorite drivers. :beerchug:
Best name in racing. :roflmao:

He played the consistency game, all season. The same way Dixon has done for years.

What's the word on the street regarding Palou? Lots of hints, but no announcement.
By Wade B
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:42 am
Wade B wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:01 pm Good to see Will Power win the championship today. The guy has had such bad luck over the last few years, and he's always been one of my favorite drivers. :beerchug:
Best name in racing. :roflmao:

He played the consistency game, all season. The same way Dixon has done for years.

What's the word on the street regarding Palou? Lots of hints, but no announcement.
You've probably heard as much as I have Scott if you follow Marshall Pruett.
I've heard that Ganassi/Palou are going into the second round of preliminary arbitration, with no settlement expected.

This one is baffling.
Ganassi supposedly had him under contract for next year, top tier car/top tier team, but was raping him on pay for a championship winner. So I understand him wanting more money, but also that it's difficult to renegotiate in the middle of a contract. So how was McLaren able to swoop in and think they could get him, while under contract, and with Palou's handlers knowing that Ganassi was releasing a statement saying he would be driving for Chip next year?
I also have heard rumblings of how much Ganassi and Zak Brown hate each other (which might explain why it went down in the first place) and that also just because of spite if Ganassi wins Palou for next year he might just park him and put someone else in the car.
Strange times...guess we'll find out...I wouldn't expect a settlement until the first of the year....
Last edited by Wade B on Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Scott at Team Harco
I'm a fairly casual observer. Just heard the comments at the end the broadcast that cast shadow on Palou's future.

I follow F1 more closely, but still not fully immersed.
By Wade B
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:42 am What's the word on the street regarding Palou? Lots of hints, but no announcement.
After a war of press releases and a lawsuit, lawyers representing Chip Ganassi Racing and Alex Palou found common ground that will keep the once IndyCar title-winning parties together for at least one more year. Wednesday morning, CGR and Palou jointly announced the 25-year-old Spaniard will remain in his No. 10 Honda seat for 2023 -- this time without social media controversy and dueling press releases.
"I'm excited to announce that (Chip Ganassi Racing) and I have come to an agreement and I'll be back in the No. 10 car next season!" Palou tweeted. "Looking forward to a BIG 2023."
Most of the terms, including any financial compensation, were not made public. Importantly, though, Ganassi did agree to allow Palou to participate in Formula 1 testing for McLaren this offseason and throughout next year, "provided that it does not directly conflict with his IndyCar commitments."

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/m ... 493944007/
By Wade B
I've been hearing that IndyCar was going to do a similar "Drive to Survive" this year called "100 Days To Indy." They're late to the game... probably a cheap copy....but I gobble up anything IndyCar anyway :bigok:

linderpat liked this
By linderpat
Well, the Indy 500 did not disappoint! What a thrilling race. After watching F1 at Monaco in the morning, the Indy 500 was a breath of fresh air. Honestly, I'd love to see the F1 cars do an oval track. I do love watching the indy cars doing road courses. Good racing this weekend all in all. Even the NASCAR stuff was entertaining.
By Wade B
Yes, good race.
Hated all of the red flags, but understand why.
And boy did they dodge a bullet when Kyle Kirkwood's tire sailed over the fence. So glad only a car in the parking lot was "hurt."
IndyCar rarely disappoints nowadays. And the attendance reflects that. I was there for Pole Day qualifying and the crowd was bigger even for that than I had seen in a long time.
By Scott at Team Harco
Thought I was watching NASCAR with all the late-race crashes. A lot of close racing all the way through. Nice to see Newgarden win the big one, finally.

Next up: Detroit. I expect a huge mess. Maybe even worse than Nashville has been.

https://rumble.com/v2qrrbg-josef-newgar ... y-500.html
By Wade B
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:54 am Thought I was watching NASCAR with all the late-race crashes. A lot of close racing all the way through. Nice to see Newgarden win the big one, finally.
Yes, glad to see him finally get the 500 win.
He has been such a great ambassador for the sport.
By wsh
Wade B wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:20 pm
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:54 am Thought I was watching NASCAR with all the late-race crashes. A lot of close racing all the way through. Nice to see Newgarden win the big one, finally.
Yes, glad to see him finally get the 500 win.
He has been such a great ambassador for the sport.
Yes
If you could design a Penske driver on a computer it would be Newgarden.

Young, handsome, smart, strong(mentally and physically), strategic, aggressive when needed, patient when needed and FAST.
He just needs Dixon level of consistency to be the complete driver.
By Wade B
The race at Mid Ohio has recently been held July 4th weekend. Newgarden has come out to mingle and talk with all of us campers at the track every year since.
Last year he and Scott McLaughlin dressed as Uncle Sam and an American eagle (the Australian was the eagle, go figure...lol) and showed up at my buddy's camp site next to ours. Newgarden was shaking hands and talking to people, then he got up on top of the motorhome with a mic and was addressing the crowd and taking questions.

Talk about fan friendly....it was no wonder he outdid Helio and actually went through the fence and into the crowd when he won. (That was so awesome to see).
By linderpat
Wade B wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:19 pm ....it was no wonder he outdid Helio and actually went through the fence and into the crowd when he won. (That was so awesome to see).
Yes, I was surprised to see him go through the fence, and I hope he got the checkered flag back! That may now become the new standard for winning, like drinking milk, climbing a fence and doing donut burnouts.
By Wade B
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:25 pm This 'track' is going to claim a few cars tomorrow.

Yep, I've heard the drivers complaining already....and that pit lane arrangement, what a cluster fuck.
By wsh
If I were Newgarden, I'd pull a Talladega @ Detroit:
Drop to the back, watch the carnage, cruise to victory

Whoever dropped Belle Isle for this POS should be fired.
Worst track I've seen, NFW they'll make it thru one lap without carnage
By Scott at Team Harco
wsh wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:52 am Whoever dropped Belle Isle for this POS should be fired.
Worst track I've seen, NFW they'll make it thru one lap without carnage
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:25 pm
Yeah. If you think that 'track' is bad. Wait until next year's Detroit GP. I have inside information on it. Let's just say - I expect a shitshow.

By linderpat
Well, it was a good race after all. Indy does not disappoint. I was pissed that Scott Dixon missed the podium though. I am a huge fan, and it is the "hometown team - PNC and Ganassi (Ganassi is a Pittsburgher). Hometown still won, so all is good.
By Wade B
Yeah, turned out pretty good.
Even the pit lane situation, though there was no time where more than ten cars pitted at once (that's when I thought carnage would ensue) wasn't bad. But that pit exit....where the blend line had slow cars from the pits merging into the path of cars that had to swing wide right into the blend area to make the next turn....should be looked at. It caused a couple of problems.
I was rooting for Will Power to take it (he and Dixon diced it pretty good, too) but it seems Palou can do no wrong. When you lose the gearbox, have to coast and reboot the system to get it back, all at a restart late in the race, and still end up leading, it's almost like divine intervention.
Palou's a very talented kid. Ganassi will really miss him next year.
By Scott at Team Harco
Better than I expected. Still a lot of carnage due to concrete barriers and narrow, single file portions.
By linderpat
better than the F1 snooze fest again this weekend. There was an exciting dust up between Dixon and Will Power on Saturday, during the prelims. The race itself was quite exciting. :rockon:
By Wade B
We were sitting outside turn 5 and saw Pagenaud's wreck in real time. It was during the first practice session where they're usually still sorting the car out from disassembly. Was very scary.
Michael Andretti had a similar wreck in the same place back in '98...
By wsh
Palou quickly becoming the Verstappen of IndyCar
Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]