911 and 912
By johnsopa
Figured I'd post this here since 964 and 993 people can respond...

My '90 964 has 50k miles, runs great but leaks a bit. It was never resealed. I replaced the clutch and installed a LFW and did the valves last winter. I wanted to sell the car but my wife loves driving it but it seems a bit slow /sluggish to me compared to our other cars.

So, I was going to bite the bullet and have Steve Weiner do the rebuild, doing a 3.8 with ITBs. However, he retired and I will have some time this winter, so I'm thinking of doing the rebuild myself.

I would have to send things out for machining (machine the heads for a gasket, clean up the heads, maybe do bore-in 3.8 P&Cs), but feel comfortable doing all the prep and assembly myself. I already bought the engine stand yoke.

I've consulted with Steve Weiner a few times and he indicates there are some "secrets" to getting these engines rebuilt properly so they perform well and don't leak long-term.

I wanted to see if anyone here has done a DIY rebuild or knows anyone who's done it. Any regrets long-term? Any truth to the "secrets" that aren't readily accessible to DIYers?
By sundog
johnsopa wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:42 pm Figured I'd post this here since 964 and 993 people can respond...

My '90 964 has 50k miles, runs great but leaks a bit. It was never resealed. I replaced the clutch and installed a LFW and did the valves last winter. I wanted to sell the car but my wife loves driving it but it seems a bit slow /sluggish to me compared to our other cars.

So, I was going to bite the bullet and have Steve Weiner do the rebuild, doing a 3.8 with ITBs. However, he retired and I will have some time this winter, so I'm thinking of doing the rebuild myself.

I would have to send things out for machining (machine the heads for a gasket, clean up the heads, maybe do bore-in 3.8 P&Cs), but feel comfortable doing all the prep and assembly myself. I already bought the engine stand yoke.

I've consulted with Steve Weiner a few times and he indicates there are some "secrets" to getting these engines rebuilt properly so they perform well and don't leak long-term.

I wanted to see if anyone here has done a DIY rebuild or knows anyone who's done it. Any regrets long-term? Any truth to the "secrets" that aren't readily accessible to DIYers?
Sorry, but I just saw this one.

I rebuilt mine by myself. I certainly wouldn't do it just for leaks, as unless you get an A+ it will leak.

I took the 3 day engine rebuild class at Jerry Woods place here in the SF Bay Area. It is quite a task, and requires a lot of different tools and sealants to get the rebuild correct. I have a couple of leaks, but they are at the valve covers, and maybe one small one in the case. I put a GT-3 oil pump in mine, so the pressure is higher than standard.

The process took me a long time, but I did enjoy it very much as a learning experience.

I did the rebuild at about 120,000 miles. Since then I've put another 65K miles, with a large portion of those on the track. The engine holds up great, just leaves a mark. So I got a B on the rebuild.
Formula 1 2020

... and Mercedes might not renew Hammy's cont[…]

When the time comes, can you do simple play by p[…]

Bring A Trailer finds

^^nice. love the GT, but I just can't do red, dang[…]

Drop links

For those with aftermarket adjustable drop links, […]