Watercooled 911s
By Cuda911
Alrighty then, let the fun begin!

So, what's up with this IMSB thingy? Should I worry about it?
By Cuda911
My '03 C2, until it was totalled by a texting kid:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By David993S
Ah, good. A Forum for the most unloved 911 of all time.
new wheels 5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By TheDeckMan
My GT2 clone, winter plans are to cut the roof and replace it with a non-sunroof GT2 part along with some other light weight parts from Manthey.
By Cuda911
David, can I see what the hand controls look like? I've never seen that before.
By David993S
Cuda911 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:33 am David, can I see what the hand controls look like? I've never seen that before.

Sure Mike. Here's a pic of them in my Alfa. I didn't really have a pic of them in the Porsches or Ferrari, but they're the same. It's a very simple mechanical device. Rock the handle towards you and it depresses the gas pedal. Push the handle away from you and it depresses the brake pedal. They work quite well, and as you know, I use them in my 996 track car.
interior 2.JPG
By Scott at Team Harco
Just hit close to 700 miles on the break-in oil in my freshly built engine (134,000 on the car!). Ordered some HR40 and a low-temp thermostat from LN about an hour ago. Should get to that by the weekend.

Here's a shot when I was close to reinstalling the engine. I might start another thread here to track progress. I've invested a lot over at that other place...
By Cuda911
Double post. Deleted.
Last edited by Cuda911 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cuda911
David993S wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:09 pm
Cuda911 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:33 am David, can I see what the hand controls look like? I've never seen that before.

Sure Mike. Here's a pic of them in my Alfa. I didn't really have a pic of them in the Porsches or Ferrari, but they're the same. It's a very simple mechanical device. Rock the handle towards you and it depresses the gas pedal. Push the handle away from you and it depresses the brake pedal. They work quite well, and as you know, I use them in my 996 track car.

interior 2.JPG
Ah, it's a pretty simple mechanical system! Had no idea how the hand controls worked. Does it take much time to learn? I can't imagine trying to use that on the track!
By David993S
Cuda911 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:39 pm
David993S wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:09 pm

interior 2.JPG
Ah, it's a pretty simple mechanical system! Had no idea how the hand controls worked. Does it take much time to learn? I can't imagine trying to use that on the track!
Just takes some practice and a little time. It soon becomes second nature, just like using your feet.
By fpena944
Had this thing almost 12 years and now at 180k miles. At this point I'll probably keep it forever and hand it down to my kid:
DSC01123.JPG
By amdavid
911's with more than 150k miles just have more appeal to me....like a well worn fine leather shoe. I had a 987 base Boxster for a couple years, bought it with 175k, put 12k on in the 2 years. The car NEVER skipped a beat and ran really, really well. When I sold it, guy called me on a Sunday from RI (mind you I'm in CA), asked a few questions, we decided on a fair price, he said "I'll be there Tuesday". I picked him up at the airport, and he drove it across country back to RI. No issues.
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:35 pm 911's with more than 150k miles just have more appeal to me....like a well worn fine leather shoe. I had a 987 base Boxster for a couple years, bought it with 175k, put 12k on in the 2 years. The car NEVER skipped a beat and ran really, really well. When I sold it, guy called me on a Sunday from RI (mind you I'm in CA), asked a few questions, we decided on a fair price, he said "I'll be there Tuesday". I picked him up at the airport, and he drove it across country back to RI. No issues.
I made the decision early on that if the 911 has a reputation for being an everyday sports car, then that's how I am going to use mine.

Honestly if it weren't for the fact that we had a kid 7 years ago and I've been working from home a lot over that time, I'd probably have 300k miles on it by now!

I've had a few scares with it like when my AOS went out and when my water pump started spewing coolant on the highway. But other than that it's been pretty rock-solid and a wonderful car. DEs, autocrosses, Home Depot trips (just did one yesterday!), road trips, mountain runs, beach runs, and most importantly daycare taxi service. All done without issue while generating smiles. I shopped 964s, 993s, and 996s at the same time and although the dollar value of this one pales in comparison, I think I made the right choice for my lifestyle and expectations.
By amdavid
Sounds right Fernando. Love having daily Pcar to drive kids around in and not worry every second. GT3 comes around when kids are long gone!
By Paddlefoot64
David993S wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:10 am Ah, good. A Forum for the most unloved 911 of all time.

new wheels 5.jpg
David, what’s your build? Very clean look.
By TheDeckMan
David993S wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:10 am Ah, good. A Forum for the most unloved 911 of all time.

new wheels 5.jpg

Love it!
By David993S
Nothing of significance to add. Just to keep the forum going............
Saturday 3.jpg
By TheDeckMan
Got out for a drive today in the 996 with some air cooled friends.
A4DCF8AA-6A76-4F16-91FE-C4FA9BEEC184.jpeg
673BA516-2349-4BC4-A4E7-9D5D6FBA0292.jpeg
D9EED597-BDF2-430F-8049-514C29941DC2.jpeg
344B0BB1-B482-4BC2-8B15-BA9FC88B2036.jpeg
D5359290-957A-48D6-8AD6-C3C2568B76D7.jpeg
0287BB97-F5FB-4C04-8B8D-9FCE5D0B10B8.jpeg
diddy2003 liked this
By Ponchobroke
230k miles original miles.
Drive like you stole it. These cars (all of them) really like to be driven.
64F9F1C3-A223-4D34-A978-0A03D4D13C05.jpeg
66F77601-822B-4767-8E37-744827ADB6D5.jpeg
06DF01AF-A2B8-414D-AE23-911C88566760.jpeg
By amdavid
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. The drive photos are inspiring me to plan my favorite 4+ hour "loop" on some fantastic, very quiet back roads near my home. I'll post some pics, although I won't be in a 996. :o
By TheDeckMan
That is some good miles and smiles!
By TheDeckMan
Current background, love this corner at the ring at night.
diddy2003 liked this
By TheDeckMan
From last Porsche on the Mountain @ Palmer Motorsports...sucks this years event got pushed to '21....oh well.

By TheDeckMan
By TheDeckMan
By TheDeckMan
amdavid liked this
By TexSquirrel
I recognize a lot of y'all from elsewhere.
For those of you that I don't know, here's my 996.2:
Paddlefoot64 liked this
By Paddlefoot64
OK Bruce, you’re holding out on us! Where’s the shots of the new OZ wheels?
By TexSquirrel
All I have is this:

Front: 18x8.5 with 235/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Rear: 18x11 with 285/35R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

I've been too busy to take any good pictures.
Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend.
By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:56 pm Image
Love that shot! Not sure if I've ever pushed that hard on the track to get that to happen to me. I think I'd need to invest in a harness before going there.
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
Yeah that person is flying! Got air riding in this on the track last year at the Ring. Was supposed to go out in a GT3RS MR but it broke lol so they upgraded me!

That was a ride! Driver just finished 1st in a GT4 Cayman for 24 hours.
By TexSquirrel
Here's a new picture with the OZ wheels:

TheDeckMan liked this
By TheDeckMan
OZ's look great!
TexSquirrel liked this
By TheDeckMan
One of the tricks for to drop weight of a heavy pig of a 996tt, just some beer and time on the Bridgeport.
By TheDeckMan
Stock Euro Turbo Bumper weighs 11.4lbs vs Carbon Turbo at 5lbs
By Paddlefoot64
OK, asking for a friend, LOL, if your 996 engine died today and Jake Raby still has 13+ month waiting list, who could you trust to rebuild it?
Or should (if issue detected) run the snot out of it to force a failure, post here and RL, to drum up support to “squeeze me in” to the queue?
Just saying!
By fpena944
Paddlefoot64 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:14 pm OK, asking for a friend, LOL, if your 996 engine died today and Jake Raby still has 13+ month waiting list, who could you trust to rebuild it?
Or should (if issue detected) run the snot out of it to force a failure, post here and RL, to drum up support to “squeeze me in” to the queue?
Just saying!
I'd check to see if an RND Engine is available more quickly.

If there's a backlog there then order Raby's engine rebuild course and try it out at home.

Or commit blasphemy and go with a Renegade Hybrid kit to stick a V8 in there. :mrgreen:
By amdavid
Where are you located? My old 997 just got a 4.0 track focused motor rebuild from a place in Reno. Do you want me to gather more detail? I did see pics of the build process, absolutely legit.
By Paddlefoot64
amdavid wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:29 pm Where are you located? My old 997 just got a 4.0 track focused motor rebuild from a place in Reno. Do you want me to gather more detail? I did see pics of the build process, absolutely legit.
Running fine for now. No reason to think I need it. Just want to plan ahead.😀
amdavid liked this
By XR4Tim
I organized a drive for a few friends with 996s the week before last:
By TheDeckMan
Looks like a great little 996 GTG!
By XR4Tim
Hoping to make the next one a little bigger. Might even invite some other models. :lol:
By TheDeckMan
Got around to flushing the gear box fluid on the 996 after 15k miles. Ready to roll for the rest of the fall until going under the knife.
By fpena944
Don't you love the smell of that stuff?

Why such a short change interval? Doesn't it usually go much longer than that?

Nice shop!
By TheDeckMan
fpena944 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:07 pm Don't you love the smell of that stuff?

Why such a short change interval? Doesn't it usually go much longer than that?

Nice shop!
Smells lovely! I use to rebuild VW transmissions on the weekends for builds so got use to the smell. Been about 4 years since the last flush, I like to flush every 4 years or 20k miles. Works well with removal of contaminants and lengthens life. The Audi TT has 180k miles on the original box with over 400 track hours, I change the fluid on that every 20k street miles or 20 track hours.

Thanks for the complements on the garage, it use to be my machine shop then I converted most of it back to my garage to work on/collect cars. Prior to that it was a Ford dealership from 1927-1975.

Turned the old inspection office into a parts/clean assembly room.

Hang out night with the local car crew, normally have a good mix of 911's/M3's ect that show up to throw a car on a lift to do a mod or two.

Back when a Ford Dealership.
By fpena944
That makes sense as after 4 years you can remove all of the contaminants. I forget that others don't put nearly 200k miles on their 996s so I wrongly assumed you were doing this after just a year or so. :grinning:

Wow I love the history and space you have there. So cool that you have photos from its original state, I bet it's happier with what is being stored there now!
By TheDeckMan
I'll get around to doing a write up on the building project some point in the future. It has been three full years of work so far, next two years will be a lot easier with only doing deck work and some more work on the "show room" which right now houses a bunch of dead car projects. I wanted a space I could rent out office space/work areas while having living space and plenty of room for wood working/machining/car projects.
fpena944 liked this
By amdavid
It's really too bad I don't live closer.....I would invite you to invite me over for some mod rack play time. Looks like good fun, in a very nice garage, aka the old Ford dealer.
TheDeckMan liked this
By TheDeckMan
amdavid wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:43 pm It's really too bad I don't live closer.....I would invite you to invite me over for some mod rack play time. Looks like good fun, in a very nice garage, aka the old Ford dealer.
Door is always open even if you are driving from afar!
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
Helped a buddy with his 996.1 Aero install a FVD X-pipe to free things up and add a little more noise to the Fisters. No drone, great cackle on decel and does it sound good on the fly by!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n_gIbe8-LY
diddy2003 liked this
New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

I've got the P Zero Rossos, which I'm happy with. […]

Plan would be a light coat under the nut, a well[…]

Thanks for getting back to us.

good forum "engine"

was busy typing a response to a question :typin[…]