Watercooled 911s
By groovzilla
Would be great to include a 997 Forum if ok with everyone.
By Own Goal
I good with that. Just no 928 guys. They are just crazy!
By groovzilla
x
Last edited by groovzilla on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By groovzilla
Worn HVAC Buttons??

May as well let people know that Climarepair is a great product and I've bought their HVAC buttons on 2 occasions.
Fast shipping and excellent product!
By TheDeckMan
Down for a 997/996 section, could sort of lump them together into a watercooled 911 section for the time being?
By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: ↑Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 pm Down for a 997/996 section, could sort of lump them together into a watercooled 911 section for the time being?
Yeah my thought was:

Classics
Air Cooled
Water Cooled
Transaxle
Other

Once we get a lot more posts we can start splitting them up further.
By linderpat
Own Goal wrote: ↑Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 pm I good with that. Just no 928 guys. They are just crazy!
Um, I resemble that remark. While I love my VW Beetle derived 997, nothing beats the clean sheet, pure Porsche design of my multiple sharks🀟
By Own Goal
Just having some fun. I'd like to have some 928s also. Just not enough room for a collection. I haven't cept up with the rules but how many 928s is the minimum to have now days? Most seem to have 4 or more, but one licensed and running. :shock:
By groovzilla
928 was my first Porsche in 1985.
But when I finally got behind wheel of 911, 928 got sold and it has been 911's ever since.

8-)
By groovzilla
fpena944 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:38 pm
TheDeckMan wrote: ↑Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 pm Down for a 997/996 section, could sort of lump them together into a watercooled 911 section for the time being?
Yeah my thought was:

Classics
Air Cooled
Water Cooled
Transaxle
Other

Makes sense - However I do see the benefit of RL's Porsche Forums and the Marketplace when selling/buying vehicle/etc. or getting into specific repairs/etc
So perhaps splitting the Porsche Forum up into the basic Classics/Aircooled/Watercooled/Transaxle/Other makes more sense since I believe most will be here for the :Anything Goes" Forum.

8-)
By TheDeckMan
groovzilla wrote: ↑Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:56 pm
fpena944 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:38 pm
Yeah my thought was:

Classics
Air Cooled
Water Cooled
Transaxle
Other

Makes sense - However I do see the benefit of RL's Porsche Forums and the Marketplace when selling/buying vehicle/etc. or getting into specific repairs/etc
So perhaps splitting the Porsche Forum up into the basic Classics/Aircooled/Watercooled/Transaxle/Other makes more sense since I believe most will be here for the :Anything Goes" Forum.

8-)
Agreed, for the time being might have a little more traffic. Takes some time to get a new forum all up and running when it comes to classifieds. After RL move to that new market place it seemed to have driven off lots of people. Hell FB seems to take out the lion share of old market places.

Originally always joined forums to 1. Ask questions. 2. Buy or sell parts. 3. Good old classic banter and meeting folks.

Personally hate selling on FB as well as buying on it. Forums offer better ideas of who you are dealing with and history of car/parts. Granted it is also super easy to list across a bunch of forums pretty quick vs trying to do it in the groups of FB.

Classic/air/water/other would probably do the ticket like you pointed out Groov. My fellow Corrado mate Rob suggested the town name which is cool but might also confuse the uneducated. But hey we seem not to need to cater to the lowest common denominator anymore which is nice that we have that going for us.
By fpena944
As you all see we don't have a lot of posts yet in the car forums. So for now I just created Porsche, Other Makes, and other types of vehicles.

If we get a lot more interest in any individual topic then we'll break them out and create their own board.

Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions!
By saabin
fpena944 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:24 am As you all see we don't have a lot of posts yet in the car forums. So for now I just created Porsche, Other Makes, and other types of vehicles.

If we get a lot more interest in any individual topic then we'll break them out and create their own board.

When I first joined I could see the other OT areas but now I can't.. And I dont have permission to send a PM requesting access as per the banner yesterday.
By fpena944
:shock:
saabin wrote: ↑Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:43 am
fpena944 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:24 am As you all see we don't have a lot of posts yet in the car forums. So for now I just created Porsche, Other Makes, and other types of vehicles.

When I first joined I could see the other OT areas but now I can't.. And I dont have permission to send a PM requesting access as per the banner yesterday.
Try again now, you should be able to get in!
By linderpat
just to piss off Own Goal :D :
IMG_0133.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Own Goal
Yep, I am more like envious. I'd love to have that guards red 928, even if it didn't come with cousins.
By linderpat
It has become a fun daily. But when it's hot, or raining, or whatever, I grab the keys to the more modern 997! I know how lucky I am to have these cars. I also have my most special one too - Blumaxx, a 78 928, with 5 speed and pascha over cork interior, in pristine shape. I try to keep the miles down on it, so I drive it less these days.
By Scalp_Em
Just checking, is this frowned upon here too?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By linderpat
No,
You can do whatever you want except full nudity or classless crass.
By Big Swole
Sup Fellas

So, it is real. New Forum

Well, I'm sure I'll be back in forth with old and new..
By jimf42
I just joined too...maybe we can get a parallel BaT auction thread going...
By points
many years ago...great car.
By linderpat
Hey Biggie and Jim, good to see you guys here. I think Rennlist will always be the first stop for tech content with my 997 and 928's, but this place is the new first stop for everything else, particularly the anything goes forum.

PS, if we do start a BaT thread here, then Biggie has to spot us all 3 wins!
By amdavid
I see the 997 contingent is well represented.

I sold my 997S 4-5 years ago to help fund the purchase of my current house. Sold it to a Pcar buddy who tracked it and blew the motor. It now has a 4.0 and he's looking a cup cars for his track addiction. I maybe be getting my 997 back here in the near future. :)

Agree 100%!
"I think Rennlist will always be the first stop for tech content with my 997 and 928's, but this place is the new first stop for everything else, particularly the anything goes forum."
By TheDeckMan

Have not driven it at all this year for some odd reason, might have to get around to installing the new suspension and IC's before the snow flies.
groovzilla liked this
By jimf42
Exactly, RL still has most tech stuff...but anything else, this seems to be the place...I agree with Biggie spotting us 3...
linderpat wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 am Hey Biggie and Jim, good to see you guys here. I think Rennlist will always be the first stop for tech content with my 997 and 928's, but this place is the new first stop for everything else, particularly the anything goes forum.

PS, if we do start a BaT thread here, then Biggie has to spot us all 3 wins!
By 997x51
just joined, saw the link on the BaT slide in 997 fourm
By linderpat
Yeah, that most recent BaT car went for several grand above market. It seems to me that these 997's are the hottest of the 911 variants right now. I understand it too. They have killer looks, with those sexy hips and curves, handle fantastic, drive like a dream and yet you still feel the connection between the machine and the road. Maybe the last of the 911's with a soul?
By 997x51
Last 911 before they tried to pull the Cayman upmarket and bring the 911 into the GT category
By linderpat
Of all 911's versions, which is the best one? Obviously, as I am in the 997 forum, I expect this version will be the crowd favorite. I do objectively think it is though, not because I have one, but because it seems to be the sweetest spot for 911 enthusiasts based on the numbers. Most forums show the 997 having great popularity (for example, we have more posts in this new sandbox than any of the other versions). Many people say it is the pinnacle of the 911 design from its inception, and everything afterwards was an evolution into something less soulful. I have no hard evidence either way, since my 997 C2 is the only 911 I've ever owned, although I have driven a few other types. Groove may be one of the few that can really answer this question, because he has had more rear engine chuggers than anyone I know. Thoughts?
By amdavid
That is one tough question to articulate when you haven't had the actual experience of older gen 911's. I'll comment coming from owning these 911's....72T, 80SC, 91C2, 97-9934S, and an 06-997S.

The first thing that becomes noticeable as you advance in years is the size, the pre 993's are svelte in comparison to later model 911's. Engagement wise the older cars are just fantastic and so much fun to drive. There's no BEST 911, period. We can go on and on about personal preferences on looks, feel, engagement and cost.

Newer models are easier to drive fast. Older models have more of the "I want to cruise" my Porsche feel, where newer models just want to go fast.
By Skyhawk172
IMG_2979.JPG
Whats not to love

just got here back from a clear bra installation and window tint oh don't mind the Prius that my office assistance
By groovzilla
997-1-BW_1_19.jpg
By jimf42
I know what you mean. I have a 69 911S and a 2011 Carrera S... they are very different in size and driving experience. The newer car is very easy to drive fast (and maybe get into trouble)...the 1969 can be wound up through the gears, tossed around corners without going too much over the limit.

That is one tough question to articulate when you haven't had the actual experience of older gen 911's. I'll comment coming from owning these 911's....72T, 80SC, 91C2, 97-9934S, and an 06-997S.

The first thing that becomes noticeable as you advance in years is the size, the pre 993's are svelte in comparison to later model 911's. Engagement wise the older cars are just fantastic and so much fun to drive. There's no BEST 911, period. We can go on and on about personal preferences on looks, feel, engagement and cost.

Newer models are easier to drive fast. Older models have more of the "I want to cruise" my Porsche feel, where newer models just want to go fast.
[/quote]
By linderpat
It's neck and neck - the two most popular model forums are the 928 and the 997 forums (based on postings). Having both in the garage, I can understand. They are the two best models Porsche made, excluding the special ones like the 550 Spyder or the CGT.
By amdavid
Posting in both 997 & 993.
No flames, simple question. Since I've owned both, I can ask this question and have an opinion.

Speaking only on aesthetics; 993S or a 997S. Which one appeals more to you?

Not considering driving, just looks, I'm going to say the 993. When I owned my 9934S, there was not another car on the road I would have preferred to drive.
By linderpat
very slight edge to the 997. I do love the 993 looks though. Never had one.
By jcnesq
linderpat wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:03 am Of all 911's versions, which is the best one? Obviously, as I am in the 997 forum, I expect this version will be the crowd favorite. I do objectively think it is though, not because I have one, but because it seems to be the sweetest spot for 911 enthusiasts based on the numbers. Most forums show the 997 having great popularity (for example, we have more posts in this new sandbox than any of the other versions). Many people say it is the pinnacle of the 911 design from its inception, and everything afterwards was an evolution into something less soulful. I have no hard evidence either way, since my 997 C2 is the only 911 I've ever owned, although I have driven a few other types. Groove may be one of the few that can really answer this question, because he has had more rear engine chuggers than anyone I know. Thoughts?
My first was a 964 (RS America), then 993, then a Boxster S for a couple years, then a 996, then a launch 997S, then my current 997.1TT (2009). I was never enthused about 996's, but finally got one, but 5 months later when I went on launch day "just to look" at the 997s, I ended up trading the 5 month old 996 and driving home in a 997S.

I do think the 997 was a sweet spot. Fixed a bunch of what was wrong with the 996, both by going a little more retro as well as some modernizing stuff. I have always appreciated that Porsches have been more "analog", although that changes with the newer cars. My TT is also IMHO the sweet spot of TT's, for similar reasons and as the last year of the Mezger engine.

Not saying I would refuse a newer 911, but at my age I can't continue my past practice of upgrading often.
By David993S
The 993 guys (and I'm one of them) would say I'm insane, but here's what I think about a 997:

I've owned my 993S for 20 years. Bought it in '99 with 8800 miles and it now has about 43000 miles. There are times when I think I would consider selling or trading for the exact 997.2 I would want. Probably won't happen, but I think about it. Guess I'm saying I like 997's.
By latonnelier
groovzilla wrote: ↑Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 pm Worn HVAC Buttons??

May as well let people know that Climarepair is a great product and I've bought their HVAC buttons on 2 occasions.
Is this for real? He has such a bad rep on RL but then I read from more than a few that the buttons are legit. They're certainly better priced than MaCarbon. I just never liked the roulette table.
Help me Obi-wan...your my only hope.
By linderpat
latonnelier wrote: ↑Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:26 pm

Is this for real? He has such a bad rep on RL but then I read from more than a few that the buttons are legit. They're certainly better priced than MaCarbon. I just never liked the roulette table.
I think he's fukin' with us.
By latonnelier
linderpat wrote: ↑Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:11 pm
latonnelier wrote: ↑Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:26 pm

I think he's fukin' with us.
I just cant tell with him. I don't think that I'd ever be able to buy the Climarepair buttons though, even if Groove came to my house ans showed me ;)
By linderpat
Agreed; I wouldn't buy them based on their past sins.
By TheDeckMan
He was a complete ass to me over the material and fitment and materials dodging the fact that they are 3D printed items with shit paint. Played games on a refund so eventually had to get PayPal involved to get funds back. I would just do the MACarbon repair and be done with it.
By TheDeckMan
Some more 997 content

Should have bought this one after fixing the coolant fittings for a friend. Alas this one got away but at least I put some miles on it!
By groovzilla
jburroughs12 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:02 pm
groovzilla wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:55 pm 997-1-BW_1_19.jpg
Groove, is that my old 997? Must have been a great drive back from Houston!
I think the 997 I purchased from you was the 2005 Atlas Grey 997S correct? Had great drive home especially 85MPH speed limit

After I sold your car about 8 mos after buying I purchased 2007C4S in Meteor Grey - Nice car but prefered the narrow body S so shopped for one with clean no accident carfax and lots of upgrades and mint condition w/low miles.
My current 997S in signature photo is Silver/black, lots of options, 55K miles and from League City TX.

All the best!
jburroughs12 liked this
By TheDeckMan
Need to spend some time on the 997tt soon, the new suspension is begging to be installed and at least driven once prior to snow flying.

As an FYI with aftermarket mounts, the 997tt will pick up knock noise from the mounts shifting on the engine carrier due to much smaller clamping area vs stock or 993RS mounts.
Can see the deforming on the mount (500 miles on these)

Put some 993RS mounts in and timing retard went from 10* to 3* on 91oct.
groovzilla liked this
By linderpat
man, that's some nice undercarriage jewelry! I've got to get my car out of storage. Haven't driven it in weeks. since I picked up another 928 and did a lot of work to it.
By Own Goal
91B4A5B7-8D26-4A25-8832-1E03F054846E.jpeg
β€˜09 997.2 S Turbo wing and some other stuff. Just got back from a short spin. Keeping this one awhile.
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]