Mid-engine cars
By AKSteve
I just spec'ed one out with my salesman and now we have to wait for an allocation.

Black with blue wheels. Weissach package. PCCB's but with black calipers, Bose, 18-way seats (I'm too tall for the buckets), front axle lift. And I'm probably forgetting some other stuff.

By worf
didja get the mag wheels?
By AKSteve
worf wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:24 pm didja get the mag wheels?
Umm....no. Did you see the price for that option? $15,640!
By worf
AKSteve wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:31 pm
Yeah, but same price as WP, except that it actually does something.

You do know that WP is 100% appearance 0% function package, right?
By AKSteve
worf wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:48 pm
AKSteve wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:31 pm
Yeah, but same price as WP, except that it actually does something.

You do know that WP is 100% appearance 0% function package, right?
Yeah, but you get a lot of exposed carbon fiber with the WP. Also, every goddamn 911 I've owned has had scuffed wheels and I don't even want to think about repairing magnesium wheels. Also, Preuninger said everyone gets the WP, so I got the WP.

Also, the wheels can only go down in price and I can buy them later.
By AKSteve
Now I am kind of questioning the WP. It seems like what you mostly get with that package is.....less paint. But you need to get the WP to select the magnesium wheel option. Together that is a grand total of $31,050. It seems like most people will probably either get neither or both rather than getting just the WP. But, I'm keeping it in my configuration for the moment.
By worf
AKSteve wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:31 pm Now I am kind of questioning the WP. It seems like what you mostly get with that package is.....less paint.
Exactly. Base has CFRP body color panels already where the WP has exposed CF. So, WP gets no weight savings and just adds to PAG's margin.

AKSteve wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:31 pm But you need to get the WP to select the magnesium wheel option. Together that is a grand total of $31,050. It seems like most people will probably either get neither or both rather than getting just the WP. But, I'm keeping it in my configuration for the moment.
Don't bank on it. The configurator is in flux. When it first launched the other day Mag wheels and WP were not interlinked.

I hear ya on the Mag wheels though: too expensive to drive on.

As for me... as far as I'm concerned the only option the 4RS needs is the Fire Extinguisher. Leather, stripes, WP just add cost and don't enhance its purpose as a drive-to-the-track track car.

It's going to be loud as shit inside. The ride - with some bushings replaced with solid joints - is going to suck except on a track or on billiard-smooth roads. It's compromised as a road car.

That written, I'd get one if I was a track rat. But, I'm not and I have too many 'occasional use' cars already.

It would look seriously bad ass collecting dust in my garage though. :banghead: :beerchug:
By AKSteve
worf wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:56 pm It would look seriously bad ass collecting dust in my garage though. :banghead: :beerchug:
I see this as Porsche's last hurrah and goodbye to internal combustion engines. The same thing with Chevy's new 8k rev-limit V8 in the Z-06. After these cars, everything is going to be electric or hybrid. The GT4 RS may wind up being a collector's item. Having said that, I plan to drive mine.

As far as not being a good choice for road use:
Preuninger thinks the GT4 RS "one of, if not, the most emotional cars" his team has ever made. "this car is not only a track car, it's Renn Sport, and it's also Renn Spaß, which means fun," he says. "It's so great on a mountain road, on a back road, and just in a normal driving situation, when you want to go out driving for the sake of driving, like you would use a motorcycle."

"I mean, if you have this car and the best motorcycles in the world, the motorcycle will collect dust, I promise."
By fpena944
@AKSteve - really excited for you! This vehicle will likely be one of the last hurrahs for gas-powered cars as we know them

I know after owning my Cayman for a few weeks the thought of GT3 style horsepower combined with the handling of this body style is quite appealing. :bigok:
By worf
*Rumor* is that there will be two more GT-RS-ish variants with the GT3 motor: a Spyder RS and another fixed-roof coupe.

… and they will be limited production and priced in the “if you have to ask” category.

4RS production is supposed to run for 2.5 years. So, through model year ‘24 and is not limited except by Porsche’s capacity.

Or so legend has it.
By worf

By AKSteve
fpena944 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:23 am @AKSteve - really excited for you! This vehicle will likely be one of the last hurrahs for gas-powered cars as we know them

I know after owning my Cayman for a few weeks the thought of GT3 style horsepower combined with the handling of this body style is quite appealing. :bigok:
Thanks. Hopefully It won't take too long for my dealership to get an allocation. Anyway, K've loved the Cayman platform ever since I was given one as a loaner car. It honestly does feel more balanced and handles better than the 911. I was driving just the regular base Cayman and loved it. I made sure I set the high mark for all of the G meter records before returning the car.

I kicked myself for not getting the previous version of the GT4 and vowed to make sure I get one this time. I totally was NOT expecting it to be a version with the GT3 engine in it though. 500HP with a 9,000rpm redline! Are you kidding me??? OH, man!
By AKSteve
I'm starting to worry a bit about the roll cage in this car. Will it reduce seat travel? And as a tall driver, will the back or side of my head be able to touch up against the metal roll cage? Because that won't work at all. I don't supposed there's a "Roll Cage Delete" option that I missed somewhere?

By worf
AKSteve wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:25 am I don't supposed there's a "Roll Cage Delete" option that I missed somewhere?
As I wrote above: don’t completely trust the configurator.

It will not have a roll cage.

The roll cage delete option is compulsory in the U.S. (unless it comes padded from the factory and Porsche won’t do that.)

Porsche has never sold a street car with a roll cage in the U.S.
AKSteve liked this
By AKSteve
worf wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:25 am
AKSteve wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:25 am I don't supposed there's a "Roll Cage Delete" option that I missed somewhere?
As I wrote above: don’t completely trust the configurator.

It will not have a roll cage.

The roll cage delete option is compulsory in the U.S. (unless it comes padded from the factory and Porsche won’t do that.)

Porsche has never sold a street car with a roll cage in the U.S.
I'm happy that I won't be getting a car with a roll cage. But I believe part of the cost of the Weissach package in the rest of the world is from the roll cage being made from titanium if you get that package to save weight. I'm happy that my car will weigh even less than the European model since it won't have any roll cage. But that seems to make the Weissach Package in the USA even more of a ripoff, unless they give you the roll cage so you can install it on your own later,
By worf
AKSteve wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:30 pm ... that seems to make the Weissach Package in the USA even more of a ripoff, ...
Yup.
AKSteve wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:30 pm ... unless they give you the roll cage so you can install it on your own later,
From what I remember reading, it is rather difficult to source the parts for a factory roll cage for street cars delivered to the US.
By K964
Love the car but what is the Stealerships ADM? A neighbor of mine inquired about a new GT3 and was told sticker + 80k. This is an incredible turn off for me and I refuse to play that game.
By worf
K964 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:48 pm Love the car but what is the Stealerships ADM? A neighbor of mine inquired about a new GT3 and was told sticker + 80k. This is an incredible turn off for me and I refuse to play that game.
In markets with silly money ADM is $50k to $100k. One TOS poster wrote that a friend of his is paying $314k to get the first 4RS allocation for his (CA) dealership.

AP (GT div boss man at PAG) is on the record saying the 4RS production will be 2.5 years. So, that should cover some out to MY'24.

If you are not a 918 VIP or similar and don't want to pay ADM then it seems likely that a 4RS can be had for MSRP if you wait. On the other hand, you'd better get in line for a MY'24 allocation right now.

:eek:

Good to know on the Sharktuner (I have never owned[…]

Where's GB?

he posted yesterday. he has seemed to dial back t[…]

If you decide to make a sub-loom for COP, I have[…]