Welcome all 928 forum refugees!
By milrad
As some of you may know, I’m in a bit deep on some catch-up maintenance on my 89 GT. Removing the pilot bearing was a task on the list. I read on TOS numerous methods to remove the bugger...bolt, nut, and Allen wrench; pack the cavity with grease and force it out with hydraulic pressure; get a Harbor Freight puller and get to work on your bench grinder to make it fit; and others....amazing the creativity to save some $.

On the other hand, I’m always looking for an excuse to buy another good German or US made tool. No apologies lol. I am what I am.

In this case, I found the reference in the WSM for a Kukko puller. I have several other types of pullers from Kukko. They make good stuff. So I bought these:

Worked like a damn charm. Couldn’t have been easier. No pinched fingers, no face full of grease.

I searched the usual online German tool vendors. Not in stock, special order, high prices, etc. then I found a site for VW dealers and technicians that sells “factory” tools...and the public can order. $14x as I recall for both pieces. Had them in 3 days. Way more expensive than the HF tool. But no $&@/:-“@ around modifying it to fit or wondering if the China junk will snap in your face. Now I just need a couple more 928s to work on to get my money’s worth!!! (Obviously it’s not specific to this bearing...will work on lots of similar set ups).

So in the end, :rtfm: . Who knew :roflmao: ?
By Hey_Allen
That's just cheating, having the proper tool...

And now I know of another German tool manufacturer that I hadn't heard of previously. Wiha gets a good bit of my money, but most of the German brands are out of reach for the things I'm doing.
By Shifted
That's outstanding. Thank you for sharing. I replaced mine last year and used this:

https://www.otctools.com/products/pilot ... g-puller-3

The only modification that I had to do was cut an inch off of the main bolt so that it fit with everything still in the car. Otherwise, it hit the drive shaft. It cost me about $85 and no modification to the jaws or anything else was needed. Definitely not as sure or correct as your tool. But, it worked well for me.

Do you think that yours would fit if the engine, bell housing and torque tube were still in the car?
image.png
By milrad
Shifted wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:23 am
Do you think that yours would fit if the engine, bell housing and torque tube were still in the car?
That’s a good question, and I was wondering the same thing. Based on your photo, I think so. But I’d have to check to make sure, unless you happen to have the overall length of yours handy. I’ll make a note to see if it fits before I put the clutch back in.
By Shifted
I could take some measurements of the tool, but I think it would be more salient to see how the sliding t-handle fits and rotates in the bell housing. If you happen to remember to test fit it when you get that far along, that would be great. But, I have to imagine that it will fit.
nsx values

Very nice example. I'd love to have one of these, […]

This guy has a sweet 928 and a sweet matching 964.

Thread transfer from RL?

I can't remember how to do it, but there is a way […]

Hot Water Pressure Washer

Does that well along with a lot of other uses. It&[…]