8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By UKKid35
I'm looking for a way to replace all four CV joints without buying complete new drive shafts costing $$$$

I was hoping to use Shaftec PJ53N or Napa NCV1128 as I know they are 108mm diameter and have the same bolt pattern

However the 928 CV joints I've been told are 36mm, and the PJ53N and NCV1128 are 40mm, so presumably even if the 928 drive shafts are 28 spline (I'm assuming they are), they still won't fit

Also, since the outer CV joints are combined with the stub axles in the later cars, rather than separate like the early cars, is there any way to refresh them without replacing the entire drive shaft?

Having just replaced all four CV joints on my other car, I am now quite keen to replace the CV joints in the 928, as almost all the transmission lash is in the CV joints which are original AFAIK

The CV boots which I've replaced in the past must be nearly 15 years old, so they're probably on their way out anyway
By checkmate1996
The rear CV joints can be rebuilt. Roger sells rebuild kits. There are many write ups on how to do this and in the workshop manuals. It's not a horrible job but it's amessy one. But there is a sense of satisfaction when complete. The big thing is you will need a 300 ft lb torque wrench when tightening and something hefty to take them off. You will also need to examine the allen bolts. Expect about 2-4 hours per wheel for uninstall, rebuild and installation.
By worf
checkmate1996 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:01 pm The rear CV joints can be rebuilt. Roger sells rebuild kits. There are many write ups on how to do this and in the workshop manuals. It's not a horrible job but it's amessy one. But there is a sense of satisfaction when complete. The big thing is you will need a 300 ft lb torque wrench when tightening and something hefty to take them off. You will also need to examine the allen bolts. Expect about 2-4 hours per wheel for uninstall, rebuild and installation.
Do you mean “re-boot” or “re-build?”

Boot kits can be had. I’m not aware of a kit for an actual rebuild that might include new inner races and ball bearings?

@UKKid35 I assume you discarded the notion of rebuilt units from the US due to two-way shipping? Surely there’s a specialty shop on your Island that can rebuild yours?
By checkmate1996
Re boot kit to clarify
By UKKid35
worf wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:37 pm @UKKid35 I assume you discarded the notion of rebuilt units from the US due to two-way shipping? Surely there’s a specialty shop on your Island that can rebuild yours?
I have a stack of parts in KCMO waiting to be forwarded by my gf's parents

However, I don't think two way shipping of entire drive shafts is practical

Moreover, I'd like to do whatever I can myself, but it's been over ten years since I've had to replace the CV boots so I really can't remember how the outer CV joint is disassembled, or whether it can be
By checkmate1996
good forum "engine"

was busy typing a response to a question :typin[…]

Gary, Worf, many thanks! I think I must have even […]

replica jack bag

Wow, great stuff! The bag looks original.

perfect, thanks for the picture of yours Dave, tha[…]