8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By captainOCD
After having installed electric fans from a ford contour on my car yesterday I wound up having a hole rubbed in my lower radiator hose by the alternator belt. This may have been happening before based on the marks on it.

Either way, it looks like the lower radiator hose for 78-86 cars is out of stock everywhere except for the $100+ Porsche part. 87+ hoses are still in stock everywhere though. The radiators appear to fit the same 78-85 and the thermostat elbows appear to be the same as well, so is it safe for one to assume that an 87+ lower hose would fit an earlier car? Especially an earlier car now fitted with electric fans (maybe that's why the hose was changed?).
By captainOCD
Carnage pictures:
image.png
image.png

Sneak peak of the contour fans:
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By hessank
What's triggering your fans?
I have been using the same fan setup for about 8 years now with a Flex-a-Lite 31163 (screw-in sensor and 40 amps).
By captainOCD
For now only the high side is wired up and is triggered by the stock condenser fan wiring. I have a new temp switch for the radiator with two temps on the way. Planning to wire up the lower of the two temps of that switch to trigger the low speed of the fan.
By linderpat
always use the zip tie for that hose. There is a place on the lower shroud where the zip tie goes, to hold that hose in place and away from those belts. It's a known issue.
By hessank
Matt as said, I also use 2 (1 for redundancy) of those 1/2' to 1" heavy duty tie wraps.
However, looking at your picture, is it possible to cut a bit off the lower hose and shove it further away from the pulley?
By captainOCD
Probably, but on the next hose since this one is now a collinder.
By maddog2020
my new hose is about 1.5" from the belt. Definitely worth keeping an eye on it. I don't have the factory fans either so nothing to zip tie it to.
By captainOCD
Picked up the 87+ hose today, and it seems like it fits just fine. In fact it stays further clear of the belts than the old hose.

Well clear of the alternator pulley. Just barely touches the crimp on the oil cooler line.

About 2" from the ps belt

Just barely touches the one fan connector.

It seems like there isn't enough play in the hose for it to touch any of the belts or pulleys. Just to be safe I looped a ziptie loosely around the oil cooler line so it couldn't flop back, but again I don't think it's really necessary now.

By worf
captainOCD wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:28 pm Picked up the 87+ hose today, and it seems like it fits just fine. In fact it stays further clear of the belts than the old hose.
FTW! :thumbup:
Rear Brake line Seized

Thanks Dave. I surely don't want to mess with th[…]

For what it is worth, only the rear Yokes are Po[…]

Gary, been reading a little in the wiring primer. […]

Plan would be a light coat under the nut, a well[…]