8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By worf
vely kewl.

subscribed
Crumpler liked this
By maddog2020
looks to be a very well put together kit. My only concerns would be plugging it into a 35 year old wiring harness. the 928 FI harnesses from the S4 and later are really well made, and I've cut apart 4-5 of them. As long as no one ever got into them you should be good. FOE harnesses are not nearly as indestructible.
Crumpler liked this
By Crumpler
maddog2020 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:21 pm looks to be a very well put together kit. My only concerns would be plugging it into a 35 year old wiring harness. the 928 FI harnesses from the S4 and later are really well made, and I've cut apart 4-5 of them. As long as no one ever got into them you should be good. FOE harnesses are not nearly as indestructible.
Agree fir sure.

I had a terrible time with my S3 FI harness already, and had to rewire most of it. Most distal wires toasted, especially the injector portion. Hopefully the bigger/central portion will hold up.
The FOE harness already replaced with that sexy SeanR product;)

Daddy’s going to savor the flavor this time, I’m taking it nice and slow and doing the homework.
I feel like the my SC install was done short on planning and impulse control. :hitfan:
milrad liked this
By Hey_Allen
That's a great reference book to dig into. The authors have a good bit of EFI tuning experience, Matt Cramer being one of the people behind DIY Autotune, and Jerry Hoffman is their CEO.
I bought a copy when it first released, as I'd been planning to Megasquirt swap my CIS injected MB 500 SEC (that was rear-ended just before getting all the bits installed...)

Huge amounts of info on MSExtra as well, but much of it is MS focused, even though much is also applicable to EFI tuning in general.
By Crumpler
Hey_Allen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:53 pm That's a great reference book to dig into. The authors have a good bit of EFI tuning experience, Matt Cramer being one of the people behind DIY Autotune, and Jerry Hoffman is their CEO.
I bought a copy when it first released, as I'd been planning to Megasquirt swap my CIS injected MB 500 SEC (that was rear-ended just before getting all the bits installed...)

Huge amounts of info on MSExtra as well, but much of it is MS focused, even though much is also applicable to EFI tuning in general.
Hey thank you for the link, that is a good resource!

Yes book seems helpful, with plenty of basic theory which is good for me.
By Crumpler
TPS install.

Kit came with TPS harness extension, but I have a longer one fairly new one from Roger (Sean?) that I’m going to leave on.
The new TPS has no switch in it, apparently a potentiometer. I assume I will calibrate later with software.
By Crumpler
Assembling the top end.
Kit comes with faster response air temp sensor.
I had already upgraded that with the Bosch unit, but for sake of compatibility I installed Peep’s choice.
For orientation, this is last elbow that runs into the MAF boot.

By Crumpler
I didn’t but probably should have if I’m going this far.
At the time of order, it sounded more advanced and more $$$$. My thoughts were basic conversion and upgrade to COP later.
I was able to get the new O2 sensor in and system hooked up last night.
I’m assuming I need to configure TPS and probably O2 sensor, and save Peep’s basic configuration before I start it up.

The ECU has Bluetooth capacity, but I was unable to get the PC to find it. So that’s what I will be working on this week, actual computer connection. There is a VGA port as well on the ECU. I also have the SD card logging option.
By grepin
I have a VEMS installed on my 1984 928S. I wont say I am an expert at the tuning side but I got it all running with no real issue. To connect I think the code was 9111 (check that) then go into ECU and select the com ports until it works. Mine is com port 3.

Yep calibrate the throttle position and WB02 sensor. There are youtubes on it. One thing that had me confused was that the TPS calibrated backwards. High figure was low and low figure was high IAW the instructions. But it didnt matter. VEMS actually also tells you how to do it when you go into the calibration menu. The beauty is other vems users can share logs and setups easily and you can upload it on your computer or laptop and watch it play back. If yours is supercharged your map will have a larger range than mine so interchangeability wont work. Anyway good luck. Dont hesitate to ask any questions. As I said I am not expert and limited up to a point. However I have been road tuning and think I am nearly sorted.
By Crumpler
grepin wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:34 pm I have a VEMS installed on my 1984 928S. I wont say I am an expert at the tuning side but I got it all running with no real issue. To connect I think the code was 9111 (check that) then go into ECU and select the com ports until it works. Mine is com port 3.

Yep calibrate the throttle position and WB02 sensor. There are youtubes on it. One thing that had me confused was that the TPS calibrated backwards. High figure was low and low figure was high IAW the instructions. But it didnt matter. VEMS actually also tells you how to do it when you go into the calibration menu. The beauty is other vems users can share logs and setups easily and you can upload it on your computer or laptop and watch it play back. If yours is supercharged your map will have a larger range than mine so interchangeability wont work. Anyway good luck. Dont hesitate to ask any questions. As I said I am not expert and limited up to a point. However I have been road tuning and think I am nearly sorted.
Grepin!

Thank you for following. I really do appreciate having somebody who has been through this around. I owe you already.
I don’t think it was wired internally for Bluetooth.
I went and got a serial to USB adapter and the found the ecu on com5. That’s a relief.
Had the same reverse readings in tps calibration too.
All my best, Dave.
By Crumpler
Well with further digging I’m not insane.
There is no Bluetooth on this unit because I ordered an SD card logger and they use the same location on the ecu board.

The O2 sensor will heat but not calibrate, just sweeps all over. I checked continuity and power and it looks like the harness is wired correctly. Inversely the supplied NTK O2 sensor appears to have different wire configuration then standard Bosch 4.2 wideband units. I’m hoping its as simple as that.
By grepin
Mine had the Bluetooth. My WBO2 came wired already. I cut the pins off and fed it through the firewall. It does sweep around a bit but I managed to get it to settle eventually but it was still a little jittery. I would like to see it settle better as accuracy is pretty important. I will take it for a dyno one day and let an expert do the final tune and I can compare my reading to the dyno. I haven't gone anywhere near the timing side as my car doesn't have any Detonation sensors. I have just relied on the setup as it came from PEEP. I have compared it to a few others and it seems conservative. But that is where power can be won and lost.
By Crumpler
Thank you for that feedback, I bought another sensor off the shelf that calibrated (as you described with tiny fluctuations)ok, so bad sensor first time apparently.

Next observation was calibration of battery:
The software was reading 11.8, but 12.2 on the CE panel so I adjusted in software up to proper reading. The software wasn’t pleased because the adjustment value was out of normal reference range (203), but it let me burn changes. Significant?

Yes, the tune. I think SUPER conservative from Peep.
I’m guessing.
I have a knock sensor wired, this currently has a light which signals on a gauge. I need to wire that directly to the VEMS when I’m further in.
By Crumpler
Started today, and running.
Super rich even warmed up lambda low but will respond with revs.
I just realized that I while I’m using stock 24 pound injectors, I still have the higher pressure 87fpr on from the Porken chip days. Peep’s config would be for the 86 FPR and lower pressure…
By hans14914
If you decide to make a sub-loom for COP, I have distributor blanking plates and there is a mount for Cam Position Sensor on the driver side. You could then do some knock windowing on the ignition. I also have boots to run the VAG 2.0T coils on the stock valve covers.
maddog2020 liked this
By Crumpler
hans14914 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:38 pm If you decide to make a sub-loom for COP, I have distributor blanking plates and there is a mount for Cam Position Sensor on the driver side. You could then do some knock windowing on the ignition. I also have boots to run the VAG 2.0T coils on the stock valve covers.
That sounds incredible, thanks Hans.
That is definitely the long game.
Dave

:eek:

Good to know on the Sharktuner (I have never owned[…]

Where's GB?

he posted yesterday. he has seemed to dial back t[…]

If you decide to make a sub-loom for COP, I have[…]