8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By ChrisZ
So as many of you know I have been complaining about a whump whump sound in the rear wheels for a few years now. At SITM an expert said it was probably the passenger rear wheel bearing. Ok.

However my parking brake has sucked for awhile and since I live on a hill it was time to find out what's up. So since I replaced the brake shoes 2 years ago on the passenger side with new ones I decided to do the same on the driver's side. Adjusted the driver's side to two clicks from tight on the star wheel and rear brakes still didn't work right.

So I pulled the passenger side wheel off, tried to adjust and kept hearing a grinding sound. Odd. Pulled the caliper, pulled the disc (thank you past me for putting anti-seize on the screws) and this was the results.

Zoom out a bit and we can see the problem.

Yep, that's the lower brake shoe sitting on the ground. This is the brake that self destructed 2 years ago and caused me to replace the darn brake cable. Apparently the new brake shoes suck or something, I don't know.

I might just stick the old shoes onto this wheel, we'll see. But this might have been the source of the noise as the hub turns quite quietly....
By worf
ChrisZ wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:04 pm
... This is the brake that self destructed 2 years ago and caused me to replace the darn brake cable. Apparently the new brake shoes suck or something, I don't know.
*NEW* brake shoes? **NEW**?

I ask because the 928 brake shoe part number supersedes to a 996 number which supersedes to a 997 number and, if you look carefully at the parts manual, one of those 911 shoes (I forget which) requires different retainer and tension springs.

So, if you reused your OE springs with the 911 shoes, then that *might* be the problem. Of course, I don’t know the root cause of your original rear-brake unscheduled self-disassembly; that might hold additional clues.

Mark Anderson has plenty of good used *928* brake shoes.
By ChrisZ
Yup. New. Even had to get a different star tensioner wheel for it.

The original disassembly was caused by one of the shoe springs deciding it didn't want to be a spring with a hook anymore. This caused the shoe to come loose and destroy the cam, cable, and pretty much everything in that weird system that pushes the shoes out.

New springs, new pads, and a new star wheel. I did take a look and the new springs were the same length, size, and type as the old ones. So a bit odd.

Regardless, old style pads are back in. When adjusted with no cable tension, 2 clicks back from "can't turn axle with hand" I could still hear a small scraping in the wheel so I backed it one more click back. Now I'm wondering if I should adjust the driver's side to 3 clicks back instead of two. Oi.

I hate 928 parking brakes. Even the damn 914 parking brake system was better than this.
By worf
Huh. Strange.

What do the springs look like now?

Any sign of another spring failure?
By ChrisZ
Oh they looked fine, all of them. I got new springs when the old one broke and made sure they were hooked properly. This time it just dropped a shoe for some reason on the new pad.

Oh well, I'll take it for a quick drive tomorrow and see if it's dragging. 4 clicks up is enough to hold the car on the hill so that's nice.
Ineos Grenadier

Anyone have any experience with the Ineos Grenadie[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]