8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By martyp
My 90 came to me sans belly pans. What are my options for adding them back in?

I know there are after market aluminium pieces, but I don't think the front comes with the NACA ducts. Are the ducts needed?

I *think* I can source factory parts, but don't know if those would be a better way to go.

Your enormous expertise and valuable opinions are appreciated. At least it's not an oil question :tongue:
By worf
There are two pans on ‘87+. One is metal and (mostly) covers the catalytic converter assembly. The other is much larger, plastic, features riveted-on metal risers for two NACA ducts, and fastens to the air damn in the front and the metal pan in the rear (and points in between.)

All pieces are available from Porsche (last time I checked.)

Mark Anderson - 928 International - offers a metal replacement for the OE plastic pan, but it, unlike the OE plastic pan, doesn’t come with the risers for the ducts. Those need to be cannibalized from an OE plastic pan and riveted to the metal pan.

I do not believe that it is a great idea to run the big belly pan without the risers for the NACA ducts.
By martyp
worf wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:32 am There are two pans on ‘87+. One is metal and (mostly) covers the catalytic converter assembly. The other is much larger, plastic, features riveted-on metal risers for two NACA ducts, and fastens to the air damn in the front and the metal pan in the rear (and points in between.)

All pieces are available from Porsche (last time I checked.)

Mark Anderson - 928 International - offers a metal replacement for the OE plastic pan, but it, unlike the OE plastic pan, doesn’t come with the risers for the ducts. Those need to be cannibalized from an OE plastic pan and riveted to the metal pan.

I do not believe that it is a great idea to run the big belly pan without the risers for the NACA ducts.
Thank you Worf. I'll check into the factory parts - we are planning on moving back to TX and the air flow there will be more important than here where it's generally cooler
By Gary Knox
MartyP,

I have a used OE metal '2nd' pan from an '88 that I removed after the car was hit in the rear by a semi-trailer truck and totaled about 15 years ago. I also have one of the 'right side' NACA duct for the plastic front section. If you have interest in purchasing either or both, let's communicate via private message.

Gary
By martyp
Gary - Let me check with my Indie and I'll let you know. Thanks!
Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

And... both Haas cars in the points.

Bring A Trailer finds

Wow. That's off to a flying start... :rockon:

New 24 pounders are the way to go, but be prepared[…]

I lost my cool with GB and got a PM and my post […]