WORF'S (EDIT: ALL OF OUR) ANECDOTES

Welcome all 928 forum refugees!
Shifted

WORF'S (EDIT: ALL OF OUR) ANECDOTES

Post by Shifted »

Last edited by Shifted on Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
worf

Re: Worf's (edit: All of Our) Anecdotes

Post by worf »

Ok. Here's one. Bizarre enough that I thought a video was needed to be convincing.

Hanlon’s Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Heinlein’s Corollary: Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Worf’s Razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by laziness.
Worf's Corollary: Once you've mitigated risk from stupidity and laziness in your endeavors, failure is usually the result of insufficient imagination.
:file_cabinet: My 928 Inspection Guide
Shifted

Post by Shifted »

Last edited by Shifted on Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worf

Post by worf »

Shifted wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:27 am:shock: why
Why would you leave a water bridge bolt three turns from tight?

I quit trying to get into the heads of previous wrenches 10 years ago.
Hanlon’s Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Worf’s Razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by laziness.
Worf's Corollary: Once you've mitigated risk from stupidity and laziness in your endeavors, failure is usually the result of insufficient imagination.
Landseer

Post by Landseer »

Pics at some point later, but why would a guy screw a set of speakers into the deck beneath the hatch?

Anyways, at least we solved the mystery of the gasoline leaks when tank is full.
worf

Post by worf »

Landseer wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:36 am Anyways, at least we solved the mystery of the gasoline leaks when tank is full.
Gasoline leaking from stereo is all too common.
Landseer wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:36 am Pics at some point later, but why would a guy screw a set of speakers into the deck beneath the hatch?
See my signature.
Landseer

Post by Landseer »

The all-encompassing signature. Covers a wide range of eventualities, doesnt it!. LoL
worf

Post by worf »

Landseer wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:25 pm The all-encompassing signature. Covers a wide range of eventualities, doesnt it!. LoL
As I wrote in the previous:
worf wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:29 am I quit trying to get into the heads of previous wrenches 10 years ago.
I've no doubt that Sean and I could post once per day each on the "head scratching" stuff we've found over the years and not run out of material for a long time.

Last century when I didn't know that my 'retirement job' was going to be restoring 928s, when my actual job was running a startup/growing software business, but people were still dragging 928s to me on flat beds from other shops, I spent time trying to figure out "why did the last guy to this? What did he know that I don't? What was going though his mind when he did this?"

After 10 years, I decided that there was no point do that. I came to the conclusion that, outside of road-side emergency repairs, not doing it 'like the factory' better have damn good reasons that weren't hard to figure out, either through logic and engineering knowledge, or by making a call to folks like Earl, Stan, Greg, etc. Furthermore, I simply came to the conclusion that a majority of folks that wrench on cars for a living simply don't GAF and their primary purpose is to get the car out and assume that they will never, ever see it again.

I should probably amend my signature to lazy > NGAF > stupid > malace.
SeanR
Banned from RL

Post by SeanR »

My only advice for today, don't get between Roger and Greg at the next gathering.
worf

Post by worf »

Shifted wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:00 am Worf thinks that there should be a thread just for his anecdotes (edit: our) anecdotes.
I think you took what I wrote and ran off on a direction I hadn't intended. I even edit the post to attempt to clarify that I wasn't recommending a thread for just your 928's PO's 'tricks' nor just the stupid crap I've found.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a "Stupid PO tricks"thread in which we could all throw our anecdotes.

To that end may I suggest that you edit the thread title so that it's not all about me? :)
Shifted

Post by Shifted »

Last edited by Shifted on Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaaark89

Post by shaaark89 »

SeanR wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:04 pm My only advice for today, don't get between Roger and Greg at the next gathering.
yeah so what in the hell happened there???
SeanR
Banned from RL

Post by SeanR »

Roger was joking with him about aftermarket parts, some guy posted a funny pic asking if he should start a thread about tensioners and torque tube bearings and Greg lost his shit. Decided to no longer help on rennlist and all his parts would only be sold through his shop and accused Roger of not paying his bills to him. Which was total bullshit. So Rog just said ok, he'd return all the parts he has in stock and wants a refund. Rog now has to refund several thousand in orders for parts that have been on back order and now I've been tasked with coming up with a fuel line product line.

shaaark89 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:30 am
SeanR wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:04 pm My only advice for today, don't get between Roger and Greg at the next gathering.
yeah so what in the hell happened there???
worf

Post by worf »

SeanR wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:02 am Rog now has to refund several thousand in orders for parts that have been on back order and now I've been tasked with coming up with a fuel line product line.
FFS!

That was a bad move on Greg’s part.
SeanR
Banned from RL

Re: Confounding work done by previous care takers of 928's

Post by SeanR »

Agreed. Temper temper. I am glad roger kept his thread closed from discussion though.
shaaark89

Post by shaaark89 »

worf wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:34 am

FFS!

That was a bad move on Greg’s part.
i'm not surprised honestly. i 've been expecting something like this for a bit now. it's unfortunate for sure.
SCX2132

Post by SCX2132 »

2020 has strained a lot of relationships
Rdon

Post by Rdon »

Records that came with my car contained this cryptic entry “GTS baffle installed”.

Genuine Porsche baffle was in fact installed, I know its a genuine part because the installer did not remove the Porsche part number label which, of course, ended up just below the oil pump pickup screen. Notice how the label has taken on the profile of the pickup while causing approx. 60% blockage... Always had normal oil pressure though.

The sheared off screw was an added bonus, none of the holes had been tapped deep enough. Nobody will ever see it, right?

worf

Post by worf »

Thanks for putting this thread back on track.
Rdon wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:42 pm The sheared off screw was an added bonus, none of the holes had been tapped deep enough.
Makes perfect sense if you look at my signature. It's way too much work to measure, drill, and use both a starting tap and bottom tap. <roll eyes>
Rdon wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:42 pm Nobody will ever see it, right?
I've decided that that is the 'justification' for a lot of work I see on 928s. As in: fuck it. *I'll* never see this 928 again and if anything happens because I'm too lazy to do it right, I'll just lie, dissemble, or shift blame."

Whereas I assume that every 928 I touch will come back to me and I'll have to warranty any mistakes or past laziness.
Shifted

Post by Shifted »

Last edited by Shifted on Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
worf

Post by worf »

Shifted wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:03 pm Thanks. Now I don't feel nearly as bad about the crazy stuff that I find on mine! Fuels into the gas tank? Stickers and sheared screws in the crankcase? Sheesh.
One of the GTs I have here is really irksome. 1/4 the stuff I’ve taken apart can’t go back together without a TimeSert or a thread cleaning tap. I had to throw away all 26 cam cover bolts. 1/4 of the stuff was hand tight when I got to it. It’s like someone turned loose a stoned monkey with an air ratchet set to 15 nm; enough to screw up 6mm bolt holes but not enough to tighten an 8mm bolt.
worf

Post by worf »

On the subject of TimeSerts: I think I need to find out if the company that makes them is public and if so, buy stock.
Attachments
IMG_2645sc.JPG
Landseer

Post by Landseer »

I feel it is my duty to report that I was forced today to rig up a MAF inlet screen, impromptu.

Smaller stock door speaker screen, inverted, was perfect.
Attachments
No retaining ring required
No retaining ring required
SCX2132

Post by SCX2132 »

CEF0D196-A35A-4CC8-BD14-C2580D46076B.jpeg
B5F4787F-6804-4EC5-99C7-4AF4051A0D63.jpeg
Landseer

Post by Landseer »

Jeez. Boat anchor worthy!
linderpat

Post by linderpat »

Damn! That's heavy!
Out here in the perimeter we is stoned, immaculate.