General discussions related to cars and driving
By amdavid
Do we have anyone whos savvy with cross referencing parts?? Money can be saved and parts found easier with these skills.

I'm not on the hunt at the moment, just thought it this would be a good tread to have around...
By Scott at Team Harco
a) Rock auto
2) do a search on the part number (use PET, etc. for the right number)
amdavid, N_Jay liked this
By XR4Tim
I have done a lot of this in the past (built a lot of ECS Tuning's Porsche catalog), and still do from time to time with my current job, but I don't have any special secret programs or anything.
amdavid liked this
By Scott at Team Harco
If you need Porsche parts, Auto Atlanta has a great graphical catalog. Pick your model. Pick the subsystem, find the part, then the part number. Capture the number and do a search on it. There are typically many options on where to find parts. Amazingly, even Amazon is one of them. Handy if you are a Prime member.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-part ... _parts.php
amdavid liked this
By JDS968
Always* start with the PET if Porsche, or manufacturer parts diagram if other brand. Depending on the brand, these can be a huge pain to dig up. I don't understand why they don't all make it as easy as Porsche does. If you can download a PDF of your vehicle's factory service manual, that often has the parts diagrams. If not, have fun Googling. LexusSouthAtlantaParts.com is pretty good for Lexus diagrams, for example, but even that is sooo much clunkier than the PET.

Once I have a part number, I usually plug it into eBay, Amazon, and Google Shopping. Of course, depending on the part, I can call the local dealership with the part number and get their pricing, too.

*Except brake pads. I usually like to pick the manufacturer and compound, then use their part number to search for retailers.

In parallel to the part number search, I look up almost everything on RockAuto as well. It's the only website that works better with its own organization system than with factory part numbers. You can plug in a factory part number on their search, and it works...maybe 20% of the time. You're better off just working your way down the tree.
amdavid liked this
By N_Jay
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:59 pm a) Rock auto
2) do a search on the part number (use PET, etc. for the right number)
X10
RA's catalog is a great x-ref!
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]