By alex
My 17y/o is looking at older BMWs. I'll be checking over things for obvious signs of damage, wear, abuse, etc, but I've never owned or worked on BMWs. It's definitely going to be a higher mileage vehicle, I don't know that it will do much good to try to convince him he should get a Civic or Corolla in a similar price range with lower miles, and I'm figuring a 323i should be common enough that parts shouldn't be hard to come by. It's his money, there may be some hard lessons to learn or it may work out great. Regardless, I'd like to try to keep him away from any obviously troubled vehicles.

So any red flags to look out for?
By lupo.sk
Bmws were bmws until about 2004. 2000 is okayish, it will have a bunch of issues but still DIYable w/o the need of superspecial tools. After that, meh.

The most important thing to ask is: did he drive a RWD car before? If not, get the car but take out a plug or two so he doesn’t end up wrapped around a pole somewhere. Or take him to a track where he can actually see what a RWD car does at its limit, preferably one with a skid pad to simulate sudden loss of traction.
alex liked this
By alex
Thanks. I'll probably take him out to the dirt roads at my grandfather's place to get a feel for what happens when traction is compromised. That's where I learned.

Probably should have figured there was no way he wasn't going to want it once it was in front of him. Seemed to be well taken care of despite the miles. Needs motor mounts, nothing else immediately, other than some interior bits. He's willing to do the work to keep it going.

XR4Tim liked this
By amdavid
Damn kids...! At 15 going on 16 it's all mine can talk/dream about, especially a bmw as pictured. As stated, stay below a 2004, even those have plastic coolant connections that inevitably leak. I keep telling mine to stay away from German cars as first car, unless you really want to "learn" about spending money and working on cars....in that case, I'm going steer mine to the 944.....a gutless wonder on a curvy road.
alex liked this
By alex
amdavid wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:25 pm Damn kids...! At 15 going on 16 it's all mine can talk/dream about, especially a bmw as pictured. As stated, stay below a 2004, even those have plastic coolant connections that inevitably leak. I keep telling mine to stay away from German cars as first car, unless you really want to "learn" about spending money and working on cars....in that case, I'm going steer mine to the 944.....a gutless wonder on a curvy road.
Last time I looked at 944s, I was pretty surprised at how expensive they had gotten, even for suspect examples, but it may be location dependent. He's been working/saving, and it was his decision... 2 days in he's still happy, we'll see how it goes over the t long term.
amdavid liked this
my heater stopped working

I've been finding more and more HVAC Rheostats ins[…]

997 Forum

I'll take it if not already spoken for. Thanks[…]

Honda ACTY (Kei Truck)

Those are sweet, in an odd sort of way!