It's our birthday!!! One year anniversary!

Yes one year ago today there was a disruption in the universe that ended up in creating this community. As promised we have winners from our Birthday Scavenger Hunt.

Go to the following link to find out who and what the final answers were:

Click here!
  • User avatar
  • User avatar
  • User avatar
  • User avatar
  • User avatar
  • User avatar
  • User avatar
  • User avatar
  • User avatar
User avatar
By AKSteve
#77235
They certainly haven't for me. I got this pic from a CNET article titled, "2022 BMW M3 and M4 Competition xDrive are as quick as they are ugly." I've heard BMW came up with this design because the Chinese like cars with big grilles. I personally wonder if maybe China lied to them on purpose to try to hurt BMW. Or maybe just as a joke to see if they could get BMW to ruin an iconic car?

Image
User avatar
By Fox_
#0
JDS968 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:01 pm It's a shame. They were all styled SO well in the 1990s, and completely went off the rails in the 2010s.
Mk4 supra, meme status aside, the coupe/hardtop with the clean lines stock is one of my favorite looking Nipponese cars.

The modern one, BMW internals with toyota styling, has to be one of the worst automotive combinations.

Japan has gone off the rails with the weird angular gundam robo car look.
User avatar
By lupo.sk
#77244
Bmws have been off the ugly scale for me for a long time. My last bmw was an E39 and it’s going to stay that way.
User avatar
By AKSteve
#77352
lupo.sk wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:43 am Bmws have been off the ugly scale for me for a long time. My last bmw was an E39 and it’s going to stay that way.
I think I got one of the last good ones. A 2019 BMW 750i xDrive. They slapped an oversize grille on this model right after I bought it. Although I'll say the new 5 Series/M5 still looks good.

Image
User avatar
By Cuda911
#77511
fpena944 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:38 pm It's not only BMW as it seems like every luxury sedan has a huge basking shark mouth. Not a fan myself...

Image
Lexus is worse, will those stupid gaping maws.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210503-105839_Google.jpg
User avatar
By Fox_
#77783
Cuda911 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:59 pm
fpena944 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:38 pm It's not only BMW as it seems like every luxury sedan has a huge basking shark mouth. Not a fan myself...

Image
Lexus is worse, will those stupid gaping maws.
Japanese car design has been hideous for years.
User avatar
By JDS968
#77927
No. Hate them.

I will forever want an E39 M5. Can't figure out what I'd do with it, but it's just too elegant to stop thinking about.
Fox_ wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:40 pmJapanese car design has been hideous for years.
It's a shame. They were all styled SO well in the 1990s, and completely went off the rails in the 2010s.
amdavid, fastcars914 liked this
User avatar
By Fox_
#77941
JDS968 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:01 pm It's a shame. They were all styled SO well in the 1990s, and completely went off the rails in the 2010s.
Mk4 supra, meme status aside, the coupe/hardtop with the clean lines stock is one of my favorite looking Nipponese cars.

The modern one, BMW internals with toyota styling, has to be one of the worst automotive combinations.

Japan has gone off the rails with the weird angular gundam robo car look.
amdavid liked this
User avatar
By JDS968
#77950
Fox_ wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 pm
JDS968 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:01 pmIt's a shame. They were all styled SO well in the 1990s, and completely went off the rails in the 2010s.
Mk4 supra, meme status aside, the coupe/hardtop with the clean lines stock is one of my favorite looking Nipponese cars.
The FD RX-7, Mk4 Supra, and Z32 300ZX are all kind of tied for me. Even the ugly duckling 3000GT is a great looking sports car, especially compared to most everything from Japan today.

The 2nd gen MR2s and DSMs were pretty sleek as well.
fastcars914 liked this
User avatar
By fpena944
#77996
JDS968 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:22 am
Fox_ wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 pm
JDS968 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:01 pmIt's a shame. They were all styled SO well in the 1990s, and completely went off the rails in the 2010s.
Mk4 supra, meme status aside, the coupe/hardtop with the clean lines stock is one of my favorite looking Nipponese cars.
The FD RX-7, Mk4 Supra, and Z32 300ZX are all kind of tied for me. Even the ugly duckling 3000GT is a great looking sports car, especially compared to most everything from Japan today.

The 2nd gen MR2s and DSMs were pretty sleek as well.
Agree with you on all of those and that the new Supra is uninspired and sort of boring to me compared to the monster of the past.

What the heck happened to designers in the past generation?
amdavid liked this
User avatar
By amdavid
#78006
Agree 100% with above observations. I like the FD Rx-7, it is the smallest of the other 2 mentioned.

90's styling was to the point, no real flowy cars. I tend to like rounded edges and an elegant yet simple flow. I'm thinking some of the 60's styling with modern performance and conveniences....you know, like a 911! :evilgrin: ....or if not Porsche round...here's a nice elegant, right sized grill coupe.

Image
User avatar
By CBEJBL
#79314
I have an '18 M3 comp with a manual. After 3.5 years, am surprised how much I still like it. Not a fan of the new snout on these M cars, so my current M3 will likely be the last.

Another surprise is what the used market is commanding for these cars. I could feasibly get $55K+ for my M3!
User avatar
By Crisis
#79331
I blame Audi. By my recollection, they were the first major manufacturer to start putting really big grilles on their cars. The Japanese car makers took that idea and figured "if big grilles are good, then huge grilles must be better" I hate the goddamn things.
User avatar
By worf
#79398
Crisis wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:40 pm I blame Audi. By my recollection, they were the first major manufacturer to start putting really big grilles on their cars.
Really?

Image
User avatar
By BeerBurner
#79420
Cuda911 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:59 pm Lexus is worse, will those stupid gaping maws.
When I see a new Lexus, I think of Predator.
lexus.jpg
predator.jpg
BB.
User avatar
By Crisis
#79717
worf wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:39 pm
Crisis wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:40 pm I blame Audi. By my recollection, they were the first major manufacturer to start putting really big grilles on their cars.
Really?

Image
Yeah, I thought of Rolls but didn't consider them a major manufacturer, simply based on volume. Rolls is now up to 3,000 - 4,000 per year, compared to 1.5 - 2 million annually by Audi. Now, if every manufacturer starts putting scissor doors on their cars, I will credit Lamborghini.
User avatar
By fastcars914
#82179
FlatSix wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:49 pm It’s hideous. And totally driven by the Chinese market.
This is what I've heard too, and I agree it is God awful. If it is only for the Chinese market, why couldn't they just have the new 4 series be Chinese market only and do a different front end for the rest of the world? I can't imagine a new grill & bumper would be that much of a cost when spread over literally the entire world minus China, plus it would likely increase sales. Or better yet, give customers the choice.

When AM came out with the new Vantage, so many owners disliked the front end that a company came out with a product to change out the front to look more like a DB10. I wonder if something similar will happen with the new 4 series?
Last edited by fastcars914 on Wed May 26, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By AKSteve
#82283
fastcars914 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:21 pm When AM came out with the new Vantage, so many owners disliked the front end that a company came out with a product to change out the front to like more like a DB10. I wonder if something similar will happen with the new 4 series?
There's a company already working on it. The company name is even funny: "Prior Design." Like, "we liked the old shit better."

BMW M4 Looks SOOO much Better with Prior Design Grille: https://www.dsf.my/2020/10/prior-design ... he-bmw-m4/
fastcars914 liked this
User avatar
By fpena944
#82310
fastcars914 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:21 pm
FlatSix wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:49 pm It’s hideous. And totally driven by the Chinese market.
This is what I've heard too, and I agree it is God awful. If it is only for the Chinese market, why couldn't they just have the new 4 series be Chinese market only and do a different front end for the rest of the world? I can't imagine a new grill & bumper would be that much of a cost when spread over literally the entire world minus China, plus it would likely increase sales. Or better yet, give customers the choice.

When AM came out with the new Vantage, so many owners disliked the front end that a company came out with a product to change out the front to like more like a DB10. I wonder if something similar will happen with the new 4 series?
Was speaking with a friend the other day and he went on to tell me he's thinking of the M4. Even mentioned the grille as one of the parts he likes about it! And nope, he's not Chinese so I guess some actually like the design.

What is most surprising for me is that he already owns a 5-series so you would think he'd be partial to that but nope, likes the new stuff!
By Chaos
#89679
Image
Some car mags barely showed them. Ones I’ve seem don’t suck to bad on dark cars. My daily here has plenty of grill.
User avatar
By Voith
#94866
lupo.sk wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:43 am Bmws have been off the ugly scale for me for a long time. My last bmw was an E39 and it’s going to stay that way.
+1.

E39 was in my book pinacle of bmw's combination of usability, good looks and first class driving experience. Parts were garbage even on e39, but at least it had everything else.

Two companies are working on making new connecto[…]

Schedule: https://res.cloudinary.com/dcx7bbpx8/im[…]

The 928 Photo Thread

Back to work on Orangie. https://i.imgur.com/aH[…]

I'm gonna lead a cheer at the Breakfast for Maddog[…]