996, 997, 991, and 992
By Scott at Team Harco
TheDeckMan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 pm Helped a buddy with his 996.1 Aero install a FVD X-pipe to free things up and add a little more noise to the Fisters. No drone, great cackle on decel and does it sound good on the fly by!

That sounds great. You win the interwebz today.
TheDeckMan liked this
By fpena944
Hey since we're showing off exhausts, here is a video I made a few years ago with mine. I need to reshoot this one with better audio:

TheDeckMan liked this
By TheDeckMan
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:08 pm
That sounds great. You win the interwebz today.
Thanks!!!
fpena944 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:06 pm Hey since we're showing off exhausts, here is a video I made a few years ago with mine. I need to reshoot this one with better audio:

What exhaust?

This x-pipe and fisters does sound a lot like this 997 GT3 of another buddy that we put the center RSS bypass in

Need to hand the camera over to someone next time and have them get the 996tt on this corner.
By fpena944
My car has Porsche Sport Exhaust but I've removed the "quiet mode" actuators so it is always loud. Then I added the Fabspeed 200 cell x-pipe and that's it!

The sound used to be a lot deeper but when I added the new cats it took on a higher pitch howl at upper RPMs.

It's loud but I'm so used to it that until I hit the higher revs I don't really notice it. With the top down the sound is awesome!
TheDeckMan liked this
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:40 pm Thanks for ear...and eye candy!
Don't drive my car often (well actually don't drive anything often) these days but when I do it's a treat for sure.

Unless it's raining and I have to have the windows up then it's radio off and windows down! :grin:
By amdavid
Yeah, one thing I will say about the 944 platform....like most 4 cylinders.....they just don't have "the sound". Nothing like the sound of a raw flat six....like a GT3 with an tuned exhaust, just lovely!
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:36 pm Yeah, one thing I will say about the 944 platform....like most 4 cylinders.....they just don't have "the sound". Nothing like the sound of a raw flat six....like a GT3 with an tuned exhaust, just lovely!
I wouldn't sell the 944 sound short though. My S2 had the 3.0 liter engine and had a pretty deep bass sound to it.

One of my neighbors used to go crazy (in a good way) over the sound of it and said he loved hearing me leave for work in the mornings.

Yeah it won't match the flat-six or the Cayenne V8 for that matter but it doesn't sound obnoxious like a fart-can Honda. It still had that unique Porsche sound to it.
By Scott at Team Harco
fpena944 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:38 pm
amdavid wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:36 pm Yeah, one thing I will say about the 944 platform....like most 4 cylinders.....they just don't have "the sound". Nothing like the sound of a raw flat six....like a GT3 with an tuned exhaust, just lovely!
I wouldn't sell the 944 sound short though. My S2 had the 3.0 liter engine and had a pretty deep bass sound to it.

One of my neighbors used to go crazy (in a good way) over the sound of it and said he loved hearing me leave for work in the mornings.

Yeah it won't match the flat-six or the Cayenne V8 for that matter but it doesn't sound obnoxious like a fart-can Honda. It still had that unique Porsche sound to it.
We had custom stainless exhaust systems made for both my S2 and my wife's 85.5. They both sound outstanding for 4-cylinder engines. Stu really sounded good. Reminds me, I need to get that engine built...
By Scott at Team Harco
This doesn't really fit on the 133,333 mile thread. I have decided to use Speedy to layout an SCCA national road rally (Hell and Back). My other car is fine. It has served me well for a lot of events, as a competitor, and as a RallyMaster. But - I'm having too much fun with Speedy.

In order to properly measure such a route, a very accurate mileage measuring device is needed. This is an old electronic rally odometer. It takes magnetic pulses from a rotating shaft. I use magnets on axleshafts for my 'regular' rally cars. This is a temporary - proof of concept - trial. It may become more permanent, as time goes on.

Here's a simple mount I made with crap I had on hand. I did buy some electrical connectors. Two screws have been added to 'anchor' the mount to the the all-weather floor mat. The mast is mounted to the center console with a contoured aluminum plate via Velcro. A high density foam wedge braces it further with the navigator's seat.

For laying out a rally, this should be acceptable. For competition, not so much (too flimsy). The odometer can be rotated in the support. A thumbscrew is there to lock it; for the driver, or for the navigator (or in between). I also added a remote switch (looks a lot like a 4" segment of a hockey stick handle) to pause (hold) the display at an instant.

By TexSquirrel
Scott, be careful about the passenger airbag.
If it contacts your mount, it could be dangerous.
You might consider disabling the airbag while using your mount.
By Scott at Team Harco
Hey, Bruce - good to see you over here. Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure this car has operational airbags. Either way, I think it is far enough away from the passenger airbag to reduce risk.
By Fox_
I saw a video of a C4S converted to 2wd to make the C2S that never was.

Now I want one. :surrender:
By fpena944
Fox_ wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 am I saw a video of a C4S converted to 2wd to make the C2S that never was.

People do that with the Turbo too so you get a GT2-lite out of it!
By TurboCup87
TheDeckMan wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:30 pm
fpena944 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:07 pm Don't you love the smell of that stuff?

Why such a short change interval? Doesn't it usually go much longer than that?

Nice shop!
Smells lovely! I use to rebuild VW transmissions on the weekends for builds so got use to the smell. Been about 4 years since the last flush, I like to flush every 4 years or 20k miles. Works well with removal of contaminants and lengthens life. The Audi TT has 180k miles on the original box with over 400 track hours, I change the fluid on that every 20k street miles or 20 track hours.

Thanks for the complements on the garage, it use to be my machine shop then I converted most of it back to my garage to work on/collect cars. Prior to that it was a Ford dealership from 1927-1975.

Turned the old inspection office into a parts/clean assembly room.

Hang out night with the local car crew, normally have a good mix of 911's/M3's ect that show up to throw a car on a lift to do a mod or two.

Back when a Ford Dealership.

What a wonderful shop to have.... you are truly fortunate.
By XR4Tim
Fox_ wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 am I saw a video of a C4S converted to 2wd to make the C2S that never was.

We got it, but it was called the 40th Anniversary model.
By fpena944
XR4Tim wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Didn't have the wide body though, right?
By XR4Tim
fpena944 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 pm
XR4Tim wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Didn't have the wide body though, right?
Correct. It had the X51 power kit and a C4S-style front bumper, but it was still a narrow body.
By TheDeckMan
TurboCup87 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:19 pm What a wonderful shop to have.... you are truly fortunate.
Thanks!

RWD wide body 996 is a sweet setup with some good big rubber!
fpena944 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:50 pm People do that with the Turbo too so you get a GT2-lite out of it!
It is a lot of fun :bigok:

Last quick drive to fill up and washed the 996 up. Ready to go under the knife this winter.
The 928 Photo Thread

Whelp... figured out why the Zyc S4 was running su[…]

Thread transfer from RL?

As someone who likes following your projects, I&rs[…]

Before and After Turbo

For posterity, my component list and a few notes. […]

Looking really good! You must be excited :)