General discussions related to cars and driving
By Crisis
This could be a hoot! Or more likely a death trap. What every Solstice needs - a turboed LS7 putting 750hp to the wheels. Hard to believe that someone sank $143K into this, not including the cost of the donor car.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006- ... lstice-18/
By David993S
linderpat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:01 am epic 996 sale today - 99 C2 for $55K. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999- ... rrera-191/.

It was a gorgeous car, but wow, that sale price!
I'm sorry, I don't care it had ultra low mileage, that's an insane price. As much as I wouldn't mind 996 values going up (I own an '02 996) I just don't see it. 996's may be slowly creeping up in value but they just aren't big dollar cars (sorry Fernando and Mike). Yes, it's a Porsche but it's just a mass produced car. I think bidders on BAT are sometimes like bidders at the high end auctions (yes, I know BAT is an auction). People get caught up in the moment and the desire to win and beat the other guy.

Now, if someone wants to give me about half that selling price, I'll sell you mine.
By linderpat
David993S wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:04 pm These are rare and valuable:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/porsche-fuchs-rsr/
Wow! That's a whopping price. I think if you actually have an RSR, then worth it, but otherwise, not so much.
By linderpat
i am not a traitor wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:42 pm https://bringatrailer.com/listing/gearbox/

Crazy price for James Dean's 550 transaxle. Show piece or does this thing get installed on a 550?
fascinating reading for sure. Funny how a lot of people are offended by the notion of it. It's just a simple curiosity to me, and certainly not worth that kind on money as a collectable. Anyway, to each his own.
i am not a traitor liked this
By Crisis
i am not a traitor wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:42 pm
Crazy price for James Dean's 550 transaxle. Show piece or does this thing get installed on a 550?
I'd say that it stays a show piece. It's already set up for display and I question the appeal of an old 550 with this transaxle, but what do I know? It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay and maybe there's somebody out there that would pay an additional $250K for a 550 with the James Dean transaxle.
By yellowducman
That is some serious coolness right there. That truck was built down the street from meet at Detroit Speed (really a town over in Mooresville, NC.)
By David993S
I'm such an ass. Someone has listed a '97 993S on BAT, on which I commented. The seller promptly said I was taking a "dump" on his car in the comments section. :roflmao: It's has had two accidents, one of which apparently required some frame work and it has a color change repaint. Seller says it has a "clean" title. Not sure how it can have a clean title with significant body work including center frame repair.....oh wait, Florida.......that's how.
Hope it's not someone here on whose BAT listing I've taken a "dump".

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997- ... rera-s-26/
By David993S
SeanR wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:53 am I don't see your comments on that listing, same one?

It got flagged as "not constructive". Probably by the seller.
By JustBud
David993S wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:56 am
SeanR wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:53 am I don't see your comments on that listing, same one?

It got flagged as "not constructive". Probably by the seller.

Should have been flagged as Reconstructive..... :lol2: (sorry, I crack myself up sometime)
SeanR, David993S, TheDeckMan and 1 others liked this
By linderpat
David993S wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:49 am I'm such an ass. Someone has listed a '97 993S on BAT, on which I commented. The seller promptly said I was taking a "dump" on his car in the comments section. :roflmao: It's has had two accidents, one of which apparently required some frame work and it has a color change repaint. Seller says it has a "clean" title. Not sure how it can have a clean title with significant body work including center frame repair.....oh wait, Florida.......that's how.

well, technically, it can have a "clean" title but awful crash history. Title is a legal concept, and crash history is a fact matter. Titles can and do contain fact history, but a car can still have a clean title with significant history. The role of a title is to indicate ownership, not state of condition.
By David993S
linderpat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:18 am
David993S wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:49 am I'm such an ass. Someone has listed a '97 993S on BAT, on which I commented. The seller promptly said I was taking a "dump" on his car in the comments section. :roflmao: It's has had two accidents, one of which apparently required some frame work and it has a color change repaint. Seller says it has a "clean" title. Not sure how it can have a clean title with significant body work including center frame repair.....oh wait, Florida.......that's how.

well, technically, it can have a "clean" title but awful crash history. Title is a legal concept, and crash history is a fact matter. Titles can and do contain fact history, but a car can still have a clean title with significant history. The role of a title is to indicate ownership, not state of condition.

Agreed, but there's also a reason cars get a Branded or Salvage title. Given the description of the 1st accident I'm just surprised it has a "clean" title. Although it is being sold in a state known for washing titles (Florida).
By N_Jay
David993S wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:55 am
linderpat wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:18 am

Agreed, but there's also a reason cars get a Branded or Salvage title. Given the description of the 1st accident I'm just surprised it has a "clean" title. Although it is being sold in a state known for washing titles (Florida).
Not sure why. As long as ownership was not transferred related to the accident (such as the insurance company declaring it a total loss), the title should be unaffected.
By TheDeckMan
It is a mad, mad, mad world out there :hitfan:

Looks like a hole in the front bumper above the plate mounting holes. Buying sight unseen should have a discount not a 20% over market price IMO. Just waiting for all the folks to start to have to fork out maintenance costs and repairs to make things "right" and end up dumping it to get rid of the headache.
By amdavid
TheDeckMan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:37 pm It is a mad, mad, mad world out there :hitfan:

Looks like a hole in the front bumper above the plate mounting holes. Buying sight unseen should have a discount not a 20% over market price IMO. Just waiting for all the folks to start to have to fork out maintenance costs and repairs to make things "right" and end up dumping it to get rid of the headache.
Yeah...don't think this one won't ever be "right"...

The Carfax report lists two accidents, with one incident between 2005 and 2007 that is said to have required a replacement nose section, rear sheet metal, and center tunnel sheet metal. The second event reportedly involved damage to the left rear in October 2015. The seller notes poor fitment of the driver’s door, loose headlight washer nozzles, inoperable windshield washers, a failed rear window seal, various paint chips, and cracks in the finish on the rear bumper.
Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

And now Lulu is saying he thinks he has long Covid[…]

There's a bit of carbon there, as you note. Maybe[…]

Appreciating these cars

shifter end. Look for the screw that tightens th[…]

78-86 vs 87-95 lower rad hose

For now only the high side is wired up and is trig[…]